Thursday 17 November 2011

A World of Difference

Last week I received an e-mail from my friend Melissa that I was extremely touched by and I really want to share with everyone:

Hellloooo Ellie,

Here is a nice story that might warm your heart. So over the weekend I was thinking how lucky I am to have all the nice things I have. Then I was thinking how you were talking to me about the living circumstances for some of the people you work with. Then I was thinking how sometimes I don't even think twice to spend like 50 bucks on nothing and how Canada allows me to have such a great education and opportunities. So now after this reflection I have a sponsor child named Nasiba in Ghana......she is 9 years old and aspires to be a nurse. I have already written her a letter and am awaiting the package on her. I feel quite good about this. I bought a frame to put her picture in on my desk just to know that although I can't save the world I am not turning a blind eye to the world and am truly making at least a small difference in one persons life. One day after years of sponsoring her I might take the opportunity to meet her. Maybe she really can become a nurse one day.

Love,
Melissa
xoxoxoxoxo



Nasiba Iddrisu is in grade 1, her favorite subjects are English and mathematics. She loves playing ampe (a local game).  Her chores at home involve washing dishes.

She lives with her mom, dad and brother. Her parents are both farmers.

Nasiba's family is of Muslim faith and speaks Dagbani language. They live in traditional round huts that are built from mud and thatched roofs. Water is carried from a dam 100 meters from their home. The child's parents work hard as farmers and grow crops mainly for their own consumption, but some must also be traded or sold to meet their basic needs. Due to persistent drought and poor soil conditions, their yearly crop yield seldom sustains them. Malaria is a serious concern in this area. The closest health center is 200 meters away. The community needs safe drinking water. Nasiba would like to become a nurse when she grows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.