Friday 9 September 2011

Arriving in Durban

So what do I know right? I am all excited to set out on this amazing adventure thinking that I am prepared for anything that comes my way. I mean how often does someone have the chance to work for a cause they really care about, while being able to live in a foreign place and explore a foreign culture? In applying for the CBA Young Lawyer International Program I had no doubt in my mind that this is exactly what I need and want at this stage in my life.  I was placed to intern at Lawyers for Human Rights in Durban, South Africa.  This had been my first choice and I was really excited.  The only place I had previously visited in Africa was Egypt so I was really looking forward to the experience!

However as the time to leave was quickly approaching, I spent more and more time with my closest friends. I realized that we were now probably closer than ever and it would be a lot more difficult to just get up and leave. But then of course this too is part of the experience. It is about allowing yourself to miss everything that you were previously really comfortable with.  And about creating a certain amount of discomfort for yourself so that you can learn and grow as a person. And about trying something new and different. And perhaps about realizing that everything you were previously really comfortable with is not all there is.  And perhaps that all that glitters is not gold.

As I was departing Toronto, I (like other interns) learned that the baggage information provided on the South African Airways website was incorrect. However (unlike other interns) I was only charged $200 for my second piece of luggage (which although now appears reasonable at the time was quite annoying). Being already highly emotional, a bit irritated and not at all looking forward to the 24 hours of travelling ahead of me, I said goodbye to my fiancé and pushed my buggy full of suitcases through customs. As I was flying through Washington DC I had to clear American customs first, which was quite annoying especially because I was "randomly" selected to go through one of those body scanners. Fun!

I flew to Washington DC, and then to Jo'burg with a stopover in Dakar, and then to Durban. I don't think I had ever gone through so many landings and lift-offs in a 24-hour period. I didn't even know where Dakar was when I originally looked up my itinerary (which perhaps shows my level of sophistication, or lack thereof). When I asked my younger brother where Dakar is he reminded me that I had parked it out back. I laughed and said, "No the city." he responded, "You parked the car in the city?"

So after a long trip that was not at all as unpleasant as I thought it would be I arrived in Durban where luckily all my suitcases loyally followed me. I was met by a friend of the previous intern (Jan), who had thankfully secured a two-bedroom apartment for myself and Alison (the other CBA intern) who will be joining me shortly. As we were driving from the airport I was so exhausted but remember thinking, "Oh my gosh, what have I gotten myself into?"

2 comments:

  1. You are so sweet :))))) Don't worry.This is part of all the future of yours. And remember that there are so many people in the world who love you!
    Desi

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.